Friday, April 3, 2009

Women









Amedeo Modigliani
Nu Couché au coussin Bleu
1916
Oil on canvas
23 5/8 x 36 1/4 in. (60.1 x 92.1 cm)

Don’t miss Women, a loan exhibition from the Steven and Alexandra Cohen collection taking place at Sotheby’s. Fifteen paintings, two photographs, one exposed blueprint paper work and two bronzes make up this remarkable show based on the theme of women. There are small groups of supine women with arms raised; women sitting in chairs; women in movement; women standing; women confronting the viewer.












Vincent Van Gogh
Portrait of a Young Peasant Girl
1890
Oil on canvas
36 1/4 x 28 3/4 in. (92 x 73 cm)

The paintings are gorgeous and the majority are exhibited without protective glass. The enjoyment is enhanced by the spacious gallery whose walls are painted two shades of gray. Works are so well illuminated the details of brushstrokes and colors take your breath away.

The artists are blue-chip: Pablo Picasso, Pierre Matisse, Paul Cezanne, Vincent van Gogh, Edvard Munch, Andy Warhol, Willem de Kooning and more. I spent time with three paintings depicting women lounging on their backs and wondered how they appeal – one to bed, one to stare at longingly, one to sink into and caress. Their Matisse bronze sister placed before them invited another response – a dare or challenge? Go to the exhibit and see for yourself.

Women: A Loan Exhibition from the Collection of Steven and Alexandra Cohen
From April 2 through April 14, 2009
Open daily 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Exceptions: Sunday, April 5, 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM
and Sunday, April 12, closed
Sotheby’s, 1334 York Avenue at 72nd Street,
New York, 10th Floor

1 comment:

Eleanor said...

I am really enjoying your descriptions, explanations and gentle guidance. It's like having a soft and comforting voice in my ear as I travel through your virtual exhibitions.

If I was in New York I would have RUN to see those women at Sotheby's!

I also love your previous post about the NGV, and I am already planning my own visit to that Gallery some time this year. I must admit that I never paid much attention to the placing of different paintings together, and this is just one example of the many small details which you mentioned, and which will now stay with me.

I'm so glad I found you Hillary!!!